Unilever Research Scientist Cell Biology, Microbiology Job – Apply Online
Location: Bengaluru, Karnataka
Date posted: 06/20/2023
Be part of the world’s most successful, purpose-led business. Work with brands that are well-loved around the world, that strive to improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us every day. Every day, nine out of ten Indian households use our products to feel good, look good and get more out of life – giving us a unique opportunity to build a brighter future. We promote innovation, big and small, to make our business win and grow; and we believe in business as a force for good. Our brilliant business leaders and colleagues provide mentorship and inspiration, so you can be at your best.
At HUL, we believe that every individual irrespective of their race, colour
, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, nationality, caste, disability or marital status can bring their purpose to life. So apply to us, to unleash your curiosity, challenge ideas and disrupt processes; use your energy to make the world a better place. As you work to make a real impact on the business and the world, we’ll work to help you become a better you!
We are looking to hire a Research Scientist in our Science and Technology, Beauty and Wellbeing and Personal Care team based in Unilever R&D Bangalore:
Background and Purpose of this Job
Be part of the world’s most successful, purpose-led business at Unilever. Work with brands that are well-loved around the world, that improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us. We promote innovation, big and small, to make our business win and grow. Our portfolio ranges from nutritionally balanced foods to indulgent ice creams, affordable soaps, luxurious shampoos and everyday household care products. We produce world-leading brands including Dove, Lifebuoy, Ponds, Vaseline, Clear, Magnum, Knorr, Hellmann’s alongside trusted local skin care and cleansing names and innovative-forward thinking brands such as Murad, Dermalogica and Kate Sommerville.
The Science and Technology pillar in Unilever is responsible with the delivery of breakthrough technologies and differentiated innovations to meet the needs of our consumers around the world, developing new functional ingredients and claims for our leading brands. As part of this, the Human Microbiome Program is a Beauty and Personal Care Platform, investigating the role of microbiome on skin and its effect on skin health, hygiene, malodor as well as on dysbiotic conditions such as acne, dandruff etc.
Job Description and Responsibilities
- Program support: As part of the Human Microbiome Program, provide expertise to support all project workstreams with a primary focus on the skin microbiome. Undertake in-silico as well as wet lab-based research to identify new insights targets and technology for skin care/cleansing categories.
- External networks and resources: Leverage the best of both academia and industry, including assessing and working with independent service providers, to support the development of new technologies.
- Science capabilities build: Support internal efforts to build knowledge and expertise in the area of the skin microbiome. Actively evaluate new science capabilities, establish relevant capabilities into practice and assist in alignment with relevant Unilever programs. Also, input to further developing host microbiome knowledge.
- Business relationships: Build and maintain effective working relationships globally with project teams in Human Biology, Human Microbiome and business category stakeholders in Unilever.
- People/Skills Development: Be proactive, energetic, and self-motivated, with the ability to work on their own initiative and with strong communication skills, for delivering the Human Microbiome agenda and exploiting all opportunities.
- A PhD in microbiology/cell biology/relevant biosciences field is essential. It is preferred that the candidate has 2-3 years of experience as a post-doc or in industry in the area of skin microbiome. Experience in gut microbiome will also be considered.
- Proven ability to handle bacteria, primary and immortalized cells is essential. Experience of co-culture systems with bacteria and mammalian cells, 3D models and relevant Clinical experience in the area of Human Skin Biology etc would be an added advantage.
- Omic measurements (e.g. NGS, RNAseq, proteomics etc.) of bacteria and/or mammalian cells and bioinformatic analyses using software platforms is preferred.
- Working knowledge of bio-informatic and/or in-silico/modelling tools is an added advantage
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external partners for new areas of science and technology development is desirable.
- Previous direct line management and development of employees is desirable but not necessary.