Product Placement Scientist at Syngenta
Syngenta Seeds is one of the world’s largest developers and producers of seed for farmers, commercial growers, retailers, and small seed companies. Syngenta seeds improve the quality and yields of crops, ensuring better and more productive harvests. They offer advanced seeds that can mitigate risks such as disease and drought, allowing farmers to grow food with fewer resources. With headquarters in the United States, Syngenta Seeds brings farmers innovative hybrid varieties and biotech crops that can thrive even in challenging growing conditions.
- Manage trialing activities for crops in conjunction with the Market Segment Leads and Germplasm Development Scientist (GDS) (formerly known as Breeding Project Leads) to drive excellence in on/off site trialing (Stage-3-5).
- Successful delivery of the role will result in high quality trials and data, to enable data-driven product advancement decisions in conjunction with Product Development Specialist (PDS) and regional Portfolio Managers.
- Data will be captured in Syngenta property tools like EZCapture and delivered in SPIRIT
- PPS are the key technical contributors to the hybrid promotion from Stage-5 to Stage-6 focusing on the territory and regional demand.
- PPS provide data for the Market Segment and Territory product advancement and positioning process for our new vegetables seeds products.
- PPS based on insight of trial entries and markets, advises on positioning of the entries for the best and appropriate markets. Where possible also share information useful for breeder for line development.
- Manage on/off site trialing and deliver quality data to support Stage-5 transfer to Stage-6 decision making within the given budget
- Key contributor of Stage-6 transfer decisions with the variety performance and other technical parts at Territory level in her/his crops including input for the Product Marketing Database.
- In collaboration with the commercial organization to establish On-Farm collaborations with key customers to create a Customer Centric culture which allows Syngenta to deliver solutions to our customers faster by exchanging data and information
- Establish the target number of PLC5 varieties aligned with commercial objectives
- Support early stage trialing activities under the responsibility of Germplasm Development Scientist (ex BPL) or Trait Development Lead (TDL).
- Use of Syngenta tools like SPIRIT (data storage), EZCapture (data collection), MINT (material and inventory tracking) and Software as Power BI, Spotfire for data analysis and visualization
- Organize data collection in the field with Syngenta or third-party employees.
- Organize and lead Product Advancement Tour (PAT) with GDS, PDS, Portfolio managers and local Sales Representatives to present trials and new products candidate to transfer to Stage-6. PPS is securing the appropriate visit date in order to have all participants and to visit the trials at the appropriate development stage.
- Prepare slides for Pre-Pam, with all insights for decision making, data and visualization to support decision making.
- Make trial contract evaluations (price, quality, risks) according to protocol, implement subsequent improvements.
- Follow Biosafety, Health Safety and Environment (HSE), compliance and ethics rules, and the quality system requirements according to Syngenta internal standards
- Contribute to reach the company Sustainability targets
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges
- Learning to work within the Syngenta Seeds Vegetables matrix organization, with special attention to connection and support to Product Development and Sales/Marketing team within Market Segment and/or geography.
- Build up a core team of growers who can perform good quality trials for the company.
- Efficient use the resources available in the company.
- Good health state to stand hard work conditions (hot, cold, humid).
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, fast adaptation to new situations, requests.
- Flexible and agile attitude.
- Open behavior in case of disagreement.
- Feel part of and responsible for the success of Syngenta Seeds.
- Data Analysis and ability to place a product in a market for NPI sucess
Critical Experience Required For The Job
- Experience in plant variety trialing (preferably in vegetable crops)
- Experience in data processing and assessment (using statistical methods and IT tools)
- Experience in agricultural technologies and applications
- Experience in working with growers/other related companies/functions in the vegetable production or value chain
- Understanding of the vegetable market and crop specifications
- Profound understanding of agronomy and growing technics
- Basic plant breeding principles
- Profound knowledge of data science and statistics
- Basic understanding of modeling.
- Willingness to travel frequently (internal/abroad)
- Experience with working in international environment is a plus
- Experience in making public presentations is a plus
QualificationsCritical knowledge and education required for the job:
- MSc in Horticulture or in Agriculture with relevant crop related work experiences (threshold is 3-5 years dependent from the scope of the previous job).
- Relevant knowledge about plant genetics and breeding (MSc in Plant Breeding & Genetics is a plus)
- Knowledge about trial design and theory, principles of statistical data analysis
- Proficient in English (verbally and in writing)
Experiences to be gained in the job
- Deep technical knowledge about the particular vegetable crop groups
- Comprehensive market knowledge about the crop group (market demand, competitors, trends, across territory view, and regional differences)
- Electronic data collection and high throughput phenotyping technologies
- Developed analytical skills and mindset
Potential next jobs
- Germplasm Development Scientist
- Product Development Specialist
- Market Segment Lead
- Portfolio/Asset Manager
- Strong result orientation and assertive mindset
- Good relationship building and networking skills
- Ability to stand for her/his proposal with courage
- Challenging the status quo with innovative solutions
- Proactive mindset and agility (communication, seeking solutions)
- Taking new initiatives and to capturing new opportunities beyond borders
- Candid to receive feedbacks and build these to her/his personal development
- Flexibility in working (coping with timing/environment/ people changes)
Apply for the position here.