LOCATION – BENGALURU
TIGS Hiring MSc & PhD Life Sciences Researchers Recruitment For OneHealth City Bengaluru Programme. MSc, PhD Life Sciences Apply. Interested and eligible applicants can check out all of the details on the same below
Establishing a sustainable innovation ecosystem requires a well-connected network of educational and research institutions, entrepreneurs, private enterprises, government agencies, investors and citizens/society. This need has led to the establishment of regional innovation clusters in many parts of the world, which bring together capital, expertise, and talent to foster technological breakthroughs that have tremendous impact on society. The state of Karnataka and the city of Bengaluru play a critical role in India’s economic growth, with their unique combination of a talented base of scientists and engineers, academic institutions, multi-national companies and a vibrant start-up ecosystem. The Bengaluru S&T (BeST) cluster envisions the
The BeST will focus on health and wellness, urban life and futuristic technologies. As part of the health and wellness theme, we have proposed a program on One Health, called the OneHealth City Bengaluru Consortium. The OneHealth approach integrates health for the environment, biodiversity, livestock and humans. OneHealth recognizes the interconnectedness between environment, animal, and human health. To this end, it
is truly a transdisciplinary collaborative effort to propose and implement research, policy, and programs at local (e.g. a city or village), regional and global scale. The key objectives of the project are:
- Create a dynamic data dashboard on zoonoses
- Design a predictive tool to minimize outbreak risk
- Enable citizen and stakeholder engagement to allow participatory action
- Test evidence-based intervention in select wards in the city
About the Positions
There are two positions:
- Project Associate (Postdoctoral Researcher/ Senior Research Fellow)
● Qualification: PhD/Masters in life sciences (or relevant disciplines) with five years of experience
- Junior Research Fellow
● Qualification: Masters in life sciences or relevant disciplines
- Tata Institute for Genetics and Society (TIGS), Bengaluru- https://tigs.res.in/
(Contact person- Dr. Farah Ishtiaq)
- National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru-
https://www.ncbs.res.in/ (Contact person: Dr. Uma Ramakrishnan)
Both researchers will work in the interface of science and policy. Our goal is to create an efficient network of stakeholders in Bengaluru who help build a robust One Health ecosystem. We propose to build open dashboards on key diseases while working closely with the government and other partners on developing a predictive framework for examining disease incidence, environmental factors, land-use change for biodiversity and human health. This work will focus on Bengaluru and surrounding areas.
We seek a post-doctoral researcher who will help us with liaising with the government and local stakeholders.
We seek a junior research fellow who will help us with networking within the One Health partners and prioritizing tasks.
Scope of work
The post-doctoral researcher will work closely with the OHCB consortium to undertake the
- Engage with different parties to consolidate spatiotemporal information on environmental conditions, disease vector habitat and populations, and distribution of zoonotic diseases.
- Work with a team of data scientists to prepare a disease dashboard.
- Work with the government and stakeholders to streamline One Health goals.
What we are looking for
- Highly motivated and academically driven candidates, with demonstrated interest and
experience in data handling, and visualization, particularly related to diseases.
- Experience with ecological or epidemiological studies would be useful
- Fluency in scientific writing and clear communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and working with a diverse network of stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team, together with organizational skills that enable completing work within a given timeline.
Duration of work: These are full-time positions for one year extendable to three years based on performance The position is based in Bengaluru.
Remuneration: Salary will be based on experience as per government norms.
How to Apply
Interested candidate, please apply here: https://forms.gle/5z3HoghjXnQ5E4Yj6.
Include the following in the application
- Your motivation to apply for the position.
- A CV – including contact information of two referees
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed online before the final selection. Deadline: 10th January 2023. Applications will be considered beyond the deadline until we find a suitable candidate.