BNHS Project Associate Vacancy For BSc, MSc Biology & Life Sciences – Applications Invited
Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS)
Job description for recruitment of Project Associate (Social Science)
Position: Project Associate (Social Science)
Number of positions: One
Project title: Strengthening climate resilience in biodiversity & local communities dependent on high-altitude rangelands in the Indian Himalayas
Project Duration: 3 years (2023-2026; 15 months pilot phase)
Project funding: Eicher Group Foundation
Project Location: Himachal Pradesh, India
Climate change is impacting various ecosystems globally in different ways. One such important ecosystem is rangeland, on which millions of people are dependent for critical resources and livelihoods, such as water, food, livestock grazing, medicinal plants, dung, fodder and fuel wood. The rangelands are also key habitat for many of the planet’s wild herbivores and carnivores of conservation importance. Variations in temperature and precipitation, in turn, are influencing changes in rangeland vegetation, with poorly understood implications on domestic and wild herbivores. Local communities dependent on rangelands and living in close proximity to wilderness will need to adapt using locally appropriate solutions in order to achieve long-term livelihoods security. Managers and policy makers concerned with rangelands and biodiversity conservation shall need to undertake inclusive and innovative measures that ensure human – wildlife co-existence. This, in turn, shall lead to rangelands and in turn livestock productivity that will continue to support livelihoods of local people, while conserving rangelands and dependent wildlife. A long-term project to monitor climate change, changes in rangeland vegetation, livestock and wildherbivore is proposed in Himachal Pradesh, northern India. The aim is to strengthen resilience of the rangelands and local people through community-led conservation, livelihoods improvement initiatives and capacity building. The project shall contribute to national and global efforts towards sustainable ecological and social security in the face of climate change.
Project goal: Climate resilient rangelands, biodiversity and local community in the Indian Himalayas
- Strengthening climate-resilience in agro-pastoral community through conservation & livelihoods actions
- Assessing impact of climate change on rangeland vegetation
- Understanding impact of climate change on status of livestock and wild-herbivores
- Training/capacity building of local community institutions towards strengthening climate
- Resume highlighting educational qualifications, work experience, publications, and relevant awards/achievements.
- Statement of purpose (SoP, max. 500 words) emphasizing on candidate’s relevant skill set and how skills can be used to implement the project.
- Peer-reviewed publications.
- Email resume, SoP and publications as a single PDF file to [email protected] with a copy to [email protected]hs.org, mentioning ‘Project Associate (Social Science) recruitment, BNHS’ in the email subject line.
Application deadline 13th July 2023
Essential qualification: Graduation and Post-Graduation in Biology / Life Science / Environmental Science / Sociology / Social Sciences with a minimum of 60% marks.
- A minimum of two – three years of research / work experience after post-graduation in the field of social science / sociology / human ecology.
- Experience in working with local communities on social / livelihoods aspects; outreach and awareness programs with local community, government and nongovernment stakeholders.
- Experience in data analyses and writing technical reports.
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Remuneration shall be commensurate with qualification and experience.