Reference ID R91573 Updated 05/12/2022 Employment Type: Full time Experience level: Experienced Professionals
If you opt for a challenge and bring your career to greater heights, then this role might be for you!
Where you fit
Emerging Technologies is a Centre of Expertise (CoE) with differentiated research skills and lab capabilities for the generation, evaluation and development of new technological concepts in a variety of areas of relevance to Shell. ET is a key enabler for filling the R&D funnel and progressing the most promising ideas through the funnel. In addition, it is the home for building new in-house capabilities and collaborating with external partners to mature technology options that enable Shell to thrive through the Energy Transition. Research themes in Emerging Technologies include Decarbonization & Circularity in support of near-term as well as long-term energy transition commitments. Focus areas of research include Methane conversions, Dense Energy Carriers like H2 through electrolysis, CO2 capture, CO2 conversions, Advanced Energy Storage and Electrification.
What’s the role?
As Research Scientist, your role will is to deliver Emerging Technologies programs in the above areas through their individual contributions in the laboratory and pilot plants. This role will be located in STCB, Bangalore and report to the Team Lead of Emerging Technologies.
Key technical deliveries
- Execute the project plans (with the Sr. Research Engineers) whilst also building enabling capabilities and skills in STCB in areas of electro-catalysis, membranes, catalysis and others.
- Help re-risk R&D projects through process science to mitigate any technology scale-up risks.
- Ensure safe operation of the bench scale and internal pilot plants and support the team’s upward movement on the safety culture ladder.
- Test hypotheses by developing advanced testing capabilities for a variety of technologies.
- Drive external technology collaborations by contributing to their technical definition and their subsequent management.
- Manage interfaces with site teams (operations and design) and Real Estate interfaces to ensure efficient laboratory operations.
- Coach and mentor junior staff in R&D methodologies to expedite technical delivery with rigours
- Deliver programs within budget, meeting Shell quality standards.
- Collaborate in a global team spread across US, NL and India to deliver the global programme
- Engage with key stakeholders for laboratory operation (e.g. within Technology, Business/Commercial, Strategy) for delivering viable technology options.
What We Need from You
- We are looking for an experienced researcher with 2+ years of laboratory-based research experience with a degree in Chemical Engineering or Physical Chemistry from a reputed institute.
- Experience in solving problems through creative and pragmatic experimentation.
- Strong understanding of HSSE principles as applied to laboratory/bench-scale & pilot plant operations.
- Passion to develop oneself by experiencing new areas of technology and science.
- Knowledge level in modelling &/or software (e.g. MATLAB, Aspen, VBA) is desirable.
Shell is a global energy company where we work towards powering progress through more and cleaner energy solutions. We use advanced technologies and take an innovative approach to help build a sustainable energy future. In India Shell has its business footprint in Information Technology, Projects & Technology, Finance Operations, Emerging Energy Solutions, Downstream & Upstream spread across more than 7 main locations.
An innovative place to work
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
We are creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments, and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there. We are striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you in finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
As an equal opportunity employer, combining our ideas through a creative, collaborative environment and global operations – we have developed and will continue to nurture a unique workplace with an impressive range of benefits to ensure that joining Shell is an inspired and rewarding career choice for everyone.