This position leads end to end planning & implementation of all product development initiatives (new products, relaunches, funding the growth projects etc.) as defined in the technology grid to achieve sustainable business growth. This position is responsible for maintaining 100% compliance to all guidelines related to product safety, quality and regulatory and ensure smooth operations (pilot plant & technology transfer)
Job Context & Challenges:
This position is primarily responsible for identifying new product development opportunities by better understanding consumer, customer and business trends (unmet needs) and translates those opportunities into prototypes (MVP) and gain support of internal stakeholders (marketing, supply chain and GTCs) and bring the idea to life in form of a marketable product. This position works closely with the team lead to implement projects (existing ideas or briefs from marketing/CICs) to achieve desired business results. This position must evaluate existing formulations and come up with innovative ideas to simplify the formula / process which can result in potential savings (FTG) for the organization. This role requires the incumbent to partner with multiple stakeholders both within & outside the GTC and achieve win-win partnerships at all times. In addition the incumbent must attain excellence in operations (compliance to safety, quality and regulatory guidelines, smooth pilot plant operations etc.) while working on new product development initiatives.
Internal: VPs/GMs, Department/Section Managers, Professional and Technical staff, Peers in other Functions (Primarily Supply chain, Packaging, Regulatory and Marketing)
External: Government/Regulatory officials, Product Vendors/Suppliers
Formulation Development, Service Consumer Test Samples, Lab & Pilot plant batches, Aging Studies, Record Keeping & Documentation.
- Independently lead pilot plant operations and ensure 100% compliance to all safety, quality and regulatory requirements for the assigned product / brand.
- Leverage Science & data analytics to identify potential problems or opportunities and create appropriate action plan in consultation with manager to address the same
- Provide excellent support for all on-going and new product development projects & initiatives such as margin improvement programs to improve bottom line.
- Utilize statistical approaches to experimental design to maximize learning with the least amount of time and with minimum resources
- Be 100% compliant to all Product Safety, Quality, and Regulatory requirements to operate with cost-effectiveness and speed throughout the product life cycle.
- Gain expertise in respective product category fundamentals and develop capability to independently execute projects from conceptualization to implementation on the ground.
- Share internal and external technical knowledge discoveries, ideas, and vision with colleagues through documentation, presentations, publications, and patents
- Supplier Qualification Program: Lead supplier qualification programs for raw & packing materials & provide required support to packaging material qualification programs.
- Be agile and respond quickly to changing consumer and/or business expectations
New Product Development
- Stays abreast of the latest technical developments & breakthroughs, changing market conditions, competitor activities & consumer trends through different avenues.
- Integrate technological breakthroughs and consumer insights to develop any new products, innovative technologies, creative approaches, or new processes
- Develop impactful claims for all existing & new products leading to sustainable business growth.
- Translate technical attributes into simple, consumer-relevant benefits and concepts
- Build formal & informal networks to constantly stay updated with new technology trends and breakthroughs
- Partner closely with commercial & supply chain functions to drive sustainable business growth and build strong business acumen (end to end business understanding)
- Constantly identify opportunities to improve existing systems & processes which helps to improve process compliance and improve speed to market for all existing and new products.
- Leverage Colgate’s performance management & development process to enhance one’s own performance & capability.
Required: Industrial experience in formulation development in FMCG or a Pharma company preferably in development of Oral Care / Personal Care / Home Care Products.
- Should have a Master’s degree in Organic Chemistry or M.Pharma (Demonstrate mastery of Surfactant Chemistry, Fats & Oils)
- Minimum 2 to 4 years of experience in Cosmetic / Pharma product development with a reputed FMCG/Pharma company.
- Highly Result Oriented & Strong Analytical Ability
- Experience in preparation of supporting data related to new product launches/ Relaunches to ensure smooth technology transfer to plant.
Desirable: Ph.D in Organic chemistry/ Pharmacy. Specialization in Soap making and Surfactants, Oils & fats is highly desirable. Knowledge and/or experience in product development
For more information about Colgate’s global business, visit the Company’s web site at http://www.colgatepalmolive.com. To learn more about Colgate Bright Smiles, Bright Futures® oral health education program, please visit http://www.colgatebsbf.com. To learn more about Hill’s and the Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love program please visit http://www.hillspet.com. To learn more about Tom’s of Maine please visit http://www.tomsofmaine.com.